Thursday, December 27, 2007

Got a Mac

Jeez this darn Mac. So I thought I'd jump the bandwagon with all the hipsters and convinced my boss I needed a Mac. At first very exciting. So sleek, so flat. Nice font rendering (I hate cleartype forcing into the pixelgrid). Very nice that there's only one volume control, not 5 like on my Vista laptop.
The power cord is really nice too. It's all magnetic and so when the kids trip over it (they always do) it doesn't destroy the computer, the cord just comes out.

But the problems are plenty. I can't get a decent bittorrent client. My digital camera is just not recognized so I can't get the Christmas pictures down and post them here. The quality of the built in camera is so bad that it's basically useless. I can't maximize windows and that drives me crazy. The desktop thus always looks so messy.

Oh, and the first time I took it with me in my bike bag riding home, it immediately rubbed off some of the aluminum coloring from the casing. How is that possible? I packed it up nice, but apparently it's not up for the task of being in a messenger bag.

Not thumbs down just yet, but definitely not as great as the hype.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Use Xtorrent. It's not free but unlike most other apps it actually has a user interface! And even a good one, not just a poorly garnished command line. Definitely the best for Mac OS X. I think that's worth the money. www.xtorrent.com

A webcam is a webcam is a webcam. Never use it as a SLR replacement!

The coloring didn't rub off from the casing. The messenger bag rubbed off onto the casing ;-)

Also too bad you can't maximize the laptop to cover up the mess in your office.
The perfect computer has yet to be invented.